ABC-Animal - Fauna Chronicle
Rabies or Avian Influenza: One Number to Call 1-877-644-4545
Raccoon rabies and avian influenza are still being monitored. For more information or to report
· Disoriented, abnormally aggressive, paralyzed or dead raccoons, skunks or foxes, especially in Montérégie and Estrie
· The death of a wild bird or unusual poultry deaths in Québec
Call Services Québec at 1-877-644-4545
* Introduced to Québec in 2006, this disease is being monitored and controlled in Montérégie and Estrie to prevent it from spreading and to eliminate it.
* Raccoons, skunks and foxes can carry this disease, and these animals remain active in the winter.
* The population of Québec is invited
· to have their cats and dogs vaccinated for rabies along with other animals that go outside.
· to consult a veterinarian if a pet presents rabies symptoms (change in behavior, unusual aggressiveness, disorientation, weakness, isolation or paralysis).
· not to go near wild or unknown animals.
· to wash bites with soap and water for 10 minutes and contact Info-Santé.
* Rabies is a fatal disease that can be transmitted to humans though a bite, or a wound or mucous membrane that comes in contact with the saliva of an infected animal.
* The highly pathogenic H5N1 strain of the virus has not been identified in Canada. However, the world situation justifies the maintenance of strict monitoring.
* Avian Influenza is a disease that affects both domestic and wild birds, and it can lead to high death rates among farm birds.
* Certain diseases, such as rabies and leptospirosis, can affect animal health and be transmitted to humans. The best means of preventing these diseases is to vaccinate the animals.
* In 2005 and 2006, a greater number of canine leptospirosis cases were diagnosed in the laboratories of Ministère de l’Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l’Alimentation (MAPAQ).
For more information
For more information about these diseases or the vaccinations, consult your veterinarian and visit the MAPAQ Web site at www.mapaq.gouv.qc.ca/fr/Pages/Accueil.aspx
Direction de la santé animale et de l'inspection des viandes
Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation du Québec (MAPAQ)